It’s been awhile since I’ve posted recipes so here are two we recently enjoyed. Daughter Quinn made the Sole Meuniere (from the Barefoot Contessa) and I made the Carrot and Fresh Fennel Colesaw with Nantes carrots and spring onions from my twice-a-month box of organic goodies from Full Circle Farms.
Easy Sole Meuniere
1/2 c flour
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
4 fresh sole fillets, 3-4 oz. each
6 tablespoons unsalted butter (yes, 6! and worth every calorie)
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (3 lemons)
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Have 2 heat-proof dinner plates ready.
- Combine flour, 2 teaspoons salt (we used less) and 1 teaspoon pepper in a large shallow plate. Pat the sole fillets dry and sprinkle one side with salt.
- Heat 3 tablespoons butter in a large saute pan over medium heat until it starts to brown. Dredge 2 sole fillets in the seasoned flour on both sides and place t hemin the hot butter.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and cook for 2 minutes. Turn carefully with a metal spatula and cook for 2 minutes on the other side.
- While the second side cooks, add 1/2 teaspoon of the lemon zest and 3 tablespoons of the lemon juice to the pan. Carefully put the fish fillets on the ovenproof plates and pour the sauce over them.
- Keep the cooked fillets warm in the oven while you repeat the process for the remaining 2 fillets. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately!
Carrot and Fresh Fennel Slaw
(we made 1/2 the recipe and it was a huge salad!)
1 medium cabbage, quartered, cored, very thinly sliced
2 fresh medium fennel bulbs, trimmed, halved, very thinly sliced
1 small spring onion, halved and thinly sliced
3 large carrots, peeled, coarsely shredded
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 cup mayonaise
1/2 cup sour cream (I was out so used nonfat yogurt)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon celery seed
Combine cabbage, fennel, onion, carrot and parsley in large bowl. Whisk mayo, sour cream, lemon juice and sugar in medium bowl to blend; season with salt and pepper. Add to cabbage mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with celery seeds and mix in. Refrigerate at least one hour for flavors to blend.