I am a passionate soup maker but am in desperate need of some new recipes. If I offer my favorite tomato-basil soup, given me by my dear friend, Jaime Cornutt, would you consider giving me one of your favs?
I call this my vat-o-soup recipe because it makes a ton. Freeze it in one cup containers and you’ll always have something yummy on hand for lunch!
Nordstrom’s Roma Tomato Basil Soup
1/2 cup olive oil
1-1/2 lbs carrots, cut in coins
1-1/2 lbs. yellow onions, chopped or julienned
2-3 T dried basil
3 28-oz. cans plum tomatoes
1-1/2 qts. broth (I use the no-chicken broth)
1-1/2 qts. heavy cream or milk (I use rice milk)
1/2 T kosher salt
1/2 T fresh ground black pepper
- In large stockpot, over medium high heat, warm oil for 2 mins.
- Add carrots, onions and basil. Saute, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent and carrots are tender to the touch; about 25-30 mins.
- Add tomatoes and broth; simmer gently for an hour, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat and blend with beurre mixer until a smooth consistency is achieved (I put it in the blender).
- Add cream/milk, S&P, and simmer 10 mins. more.