Here’s the complete poem by Albert Joyce Kilmer:
- I think that I shall never see
- A poem lovely as a tree.
- A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
- Against the earth’s sweet flowing breast;
- A tree that looks at God all day,
- And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
- A tree that may in summer wear
- A nest of robins in her hair;
- Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
- Who intimately lives with rain.
- Poems are made by fools like me,
- But only God can make a tree.
He would’ve gone crazy over the Katsura trees ablaze in our front yard, which not only glow but the turning leaves smell like cotton candy.
Come over and smell for yourself!